Monday, March 10, 2014

Procrastination: good or bad?

OK..truth be told... "by choice, at times, I procrastinate".   But here's the thing…
      We live in a time constrained society. People are rushing, & pushing to meet deadlines. If a person can multitask and be successful at accomplishing several tasks at once in a short time frame, then we praise that person's ability.  
    Faster is synonymous with better, and a person who delays prompts reflection about that person's worth and value.   
It can be described as harmful and self-handicapping, a destructive strategy, yet we ALL do it. 
     Active procrastination is positively related to poly-chronicity, where the person can engage in "multiple" tasks at the same time and can adapt their work schedule to meet the deadlines in a timely manner. (Coi, 2009). 
     These people show a certain level of self-reliance, autonomy and self-confidence because they are aware of the risk of subjecting themselves to last minute pressures and still consciously decide to do it.  
     For me, in some instances not all, since I know that Im racing against the clock it creates a certain excitement and pressure that elicit peak performance.  Speaking for myself on certain events, these practices may not work for others. 

11 comments:

  1. Madame Helene, Understand that yes multitasking is one thing but procrastination is another..how many times have we not come through or failed to meet that obligation do to procrastination. Some can bounce back while others get used to it, thus becoming a permanent fixture....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to leave a comment, but I can do it tomorrow …

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am some what the same way. i procrastinate alot but i get the job down i actually think faster and my best work comes out at the last minute. i would not suggest this to anybody because it is a bad addicting habit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I'm creating a stir from this posting.
      Your right! ....it is a very bad habit to get into and does create a sense of laziness and things done last to the minute result in mediocre quality work.
      I'm sorry if my post suggested that everyone do it , Im going to re-word the post.
      Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.



      Delete
  4. I hate procrastination yet I am the biggest one. It may cause some to be more focused but cause others to have a complete melt down. Even though it has worked for us Helene, I think people should still prepare in advance to attain that optimum grade. It also keeps one calm and prevent you from having that nagging anxiety. Good morning guys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gregory!
      I fully agree.... procrastinating may work for some and not for others. In general, procrastinators miss out on certain things and melt downs are inevitable!
      Preparing in advance is definitely vital in all aspects of life in general!
      Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

      Delete
  5. Procrastination is something too hard to get rid off specially to a student like me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think procrastination is super bad. I do it all the time I hate it! i should be on a team for best procrastinator! I will always get things done at the last minute. I think I do this because I'm scared of the grade I might get or because I'm just so busy in my life that I don't want to even sit down to think about the Homework at hand. I'm working on my procrastination problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Alexis!
      Your right... procrastinating is not good at all. but we ALL do it.
      I guess it's life's necessary evils. yikes!
      thank you for sharing your thoughts.

      Delete
  7. procrastinating is something that i want to eliminate from life. I like procrastination untill the last day of the assignment, then its all stress and busy. i am trying to end my procrastinating, but i will do it tomorrow

    ReplyDelete